Thursday, October 17, 2013

Billy’s (Famous) Roast Beef & Seafood, 1291 Main Street, Wakefield, MA. 01880


Billy's Roast Beef in Wakefield is a childhood favorite of mine. In 6th and 7th grade when we had a half day of school we used to take the bus to Billy's and buy ourselves a super beef with everything. It wasn't until years later that I realized how lucky I was to have this restaurant so close by when I was growing up. One quick note: this is a cash only establishment, so hit the bank on the way over.    

I realize that looks like cheese but its mayo, this sandwich was sans cheese.

Bun: This bun is super crispy, most places just the edges are golden brown, not the case here. The entire bun was crispy. The flavor was great but I think it could use a little more onion. Score: 4

Beef:  First bite into this sandwich the thing I noticed was the beef, so so so tender. There is absolutely no pull to it. and you barely need to chew it just melt away in your mouth. The flavor is nice and understated, you taste the beef here not seasonings. Score: 5

Sauce: 
Good spice right off the bat. At no point did my lips go numb so I would hold this one at medium spice. Has strong black pepper notes, but isn't overly sweet or vinegary. Very balanced.  Score: 5

Overall: I may be biased but this sandwich was great, exactly what I look for in a roast beef. The balance between sauce, bun, and beef was excellent as well as the portion size. There was beef falling out as soon as you picked up the sandwich. Definitely a sandwich I could and will order again and again. Score: 5

Notes: Billy's has quite posibley the most creamy and tasty mayo I have ever had. Not sure what it is they use but its excellent. Not to mention they are not shy about using it. (see photo above)



Bonus Guest Review



Kate's Super Beef Extra Sauce:

Bun: "Loved the buttery flavor, and it was crispy right up to last bite. I also liked that the onion flavor was not overwhelming." Score: 5

Beef: "So tender. I could easily take a clean bite." Score: 5

Sauce: 
"It had good spice to it. At first I didn't think they gave me enough but I was surprised as I went. Nothing that made me Ooo and Ahh but solid."   Score: 4

Overall: "Definitely one of the best I've had" Score: 5



No comments:

Post a Comment