Friday, November 15, 2013

Jillie's Family Restaurant, 600 Rogers St Lowell, MA 01852



Jillie's looks like a dive. The street it is on looks like a good spot to get hit by a car, but if you can get past the Lowell aesthetic this place is worth stopping in for a few minutes. If you really don't want to stay long hit up their drive through (yeah they got one) because the sandwich here is far from average.



Bun: One of the most amazing bun's I have ever had. It tasted as if it was fresh baked that morning. Incredibly soft with ton's of nice charred onion's on top. And here is the first place where Jillie's adds some flair. Poppy seeds! The strong onion flavor mixed with poppy added a lot of interest to this sandwich. Actually the only reason I didn't give it a five was there was no toasting on this example. Let me tell you, it wasn't missed much, I was tempted to give it a five anyways Score: 4

Beef: Tender, bright pink, and almost ground instead of shaven slices. I got one small piece that was fatty and chewy but the rest of the 6 oz was delicious. This beef was nicely seasoned with garlic overtones. I just wish it wasn't so ground up. Score: 4

Sauce: Spicy! Heavy on the black pepper flavors but not overly sweet or tangy. This lead to a strong spice buildup that gets intense while eating the sandwich, to the point of numbing you lips a little, but by the time I left and got back into my car it was gone. They also gave you a good serving of sauce and mayo. Score: 5

Overall: This could of been a five. It might be a five. It was at least a four and a half. There were so many unexpected twist that makes this not your regular roast beef (poppy seeds, original sauce, beef seasoning) yet nothing seemed to break tradition. Overall Delicious. Score: 4

Notes: Jillie's calls their super beef a giant beef, that being said I ordered a super beef and they didn't skip a beat. Also the pizza smelt great, and I want to try their spicy fries,

No comments:

Post a Comment